Frequently Asked Questions About Mold

Q: What is mold?
A: Mold is a fungus that grows and multiplies. Their tiny particles are present everywhere – in indoor and outdoor air. Molds are very common in buildings and homes and will grow anywhere there is moisture. Mold growth is encouraged by warm and humid conditions. Indoors, they can be found where humidity levels are high, such as in basements or showers. No one knows how many species of fungi exist but estimates range from tens of thousands to perhaps three hundred thousand or more.

Q: What types of mold are commonly found indoors? A: Household molds come in a rainbow of colors, including red, pink, green, blue-green, brown and black. The most common indoor molds are Cladosporium, Penicillium, Aspergillus, Alternaria, and Mucor.

Q: How does mold get into my house?
A: Molds produce microscopic cells called “spores” which are very tiny and spread easily through the air.  Live spores act like seeds, forming new mold growths (colonies) when they find the right conditions.  Mold spores may enter your house through open doorways, windows, heating, ventilation, and air conditioning systems.  Spores in the air outside also attach themselves to people and animals, making clothing, shoes, bags, and pets, all convenient vehicles for carrying mold indoors.  When mold spores drop on places where there is adequate moisture, they will grow.

Q: How can I tell if there’s mold in my home?
A: Use your senses: Look for visible mold growth (may appear cottony, velvety, granular, or leathery and have varied colors of white, gray, brown, black, yellow, green, fluorescent). Mold often appears as discoloration, staining, or fuzzy growth on the surface of furnishings or building materials (walls, ceilings, or anything made of wood or paper). Look for signs of excess moisture or water damage (water leaks, standing water, water stains, condensation problems). Search behind and underneath materials (carpet and pad, wallpaper, vinyl flooring, sink cabinets), furniture, pictures or stored items (especially things placed near outside walls or on cold floors). Sometimes destructive techniques may be needed to inspect and clean enclosed spaces where mold and moisture are hidden; for example, opening up a wall cavity. Check around air handling units (air conditioners, furnaces) for stagnant water. Keep these units serviced with regular cleaning of ducts and air filters. Search areas where you can smell mold odors. Mildew has been described as pungent, or “aromatic.” If you can see mold, or if there is an earthy or musty odor, you can assume you have a mold problem.

Q: How can I rid my home/workplace of mold?
A: Most important is fixing whatever it is that is causing the damp conditions. Small non porous areas can be cleaned with bleach and water. Larger areas, 2 sq. ft. or more, should be removed by a professional in mold remediation. Contact us via this web site or by calling 1-413-391-0342 to set up an appointment to have our team assess the situation.

Q: Should I be concerned about mold in my home?
A: Mold should not be permitted to grow and multiply indoors. When this happens, health problems can occur and building materials, goods and furnishings may be damaged. In most cases mold can be removed by a thorough cleaning with bleach and water. If you have an extensive amount of mold and you do not think you can manage the cleanup on your own, you may want to contact a professional who has experience in cleaning mold in buildings and homes.

If you have any other questions or comments, feel free to email Environmental AirTechs at info@EnvironmentalAirTechs.com, and we will reply as soon as possible. Thank you for visiting our site.